English 191 section 27
Mondays MC 206
17:00-20:20
Dr. Roland Specht-Jarvis, LH 116
320-224-2341
rhspechtjarvis@gmail.com

Monday, September 10, 2012

Homework for next week, 9-17

Please visit the LEO webpages and review the topics offered. Study three topics from the list below and start to prepare one for blog presentation and class presentation.

Every student must have a blog by now that shows the topic selected for presentation. Peruse all blogs of your classmates and find one or two students who have the same or a similar topic. Form groups of 2-3 students. If four persons have a similar topic, split into two groups. See me and tell me who is working with whom. I will put that on the class blog.

Sit with your new group mates and discuss what you want to present to class.
Check the additional resources below and see, how you can include them.
Google your topic and find additional content.
Create a new (second draft after the first posting for today) blog entry and put together the elements of your group presentation.
I want to start listening to group presentations by 7:00 pm today. Be sure to copy and past the second draft (the group presentation) into each member's blog before the evening is over. We will finish listening to presentations next week.

Homework for the followingweek (Sept 24): Describe in a 500 word post the process by which your group produced the presentation on a common grammar topic "How my group organized the presentation on ..." and add the names of participants, of course. Think of your goals and how you approached and achieved the task. Describe resources found, pitfalls, etc.
Here are the topics:
begin clip
" I'm writing a research paper . . .
  • and want help with
  • I want to make sure my ideas are logical.

  • I want to improve the way my writing sounds. My writing doesn't flow. It's choppy.

  • I'm having problems getting started.

  • I have difficulty organizing my writing.

  • I want to work on developing my writing.

  • I have problems with particular parts of a paper -- introductions, thesis statements, conclusions.

  • I need more information about particular types of writing:


  • I'm never sure about where commas go.

  • I'm having problems with sentence fragments.

  • I'm confused by semicolons and colons.

  • I want to know more about grammar and the parts of a sentence.

  • My native language is not English.

  • I'm not sure what some of the abbreviations and symbols mean that my teacher wrote on my paper.


  • I'm not sure what some of the terms mean that my teacher wrote on my paper.


  • I'm never sure how to revise or catch errors in my writing.


  • I'd like some ideas for making my writing nonsexist." end clip.





  • Source: http://leo.stcloudstate.edu/ accessed Sept. 4, 2012

    No comments:

    Post a Comment